Sunday, October 16, 2011

It's Kind of a Funny Story

"You're cool. You're smart. You're talented. You have a family that loves you. You know what I would do just to be you for just a day? I would, I would do so much. I would, I don't know, I'd just... I'd just live. Like it meant something." 

I don't know how many of you have seen the movie  It's Kind of a Funny Story, but it is a good one.
There is no complicated plot.
No horrific love affair.
Nothing.
Just real life.
It's about a boy.
Who has problems.
Problems like homework.
And friends.
And college applications.
Every problem that a normal teenager has.
He gets a little suicidal and puts himself in a mental hospital.
He realizes that people out there are homeless.
Or have a serious mental issues.
Or have tried to kill themselves multiple times.
Everyone has problems.
We all go through those times when we think there is nothing to live for.
We think that our problems are so bad and nothing could ever be worse.
Some of you may have wanted to end your life.
Some of you may have wanted to run away.
But don't.
There is so much to live for.
If you aren't spending your time living, you are spending it dying.
Be grateful for what you have.
And remember, there is always someone worse off than you.


Okay, I know you're thinking, "What is this? Kid spends a few days in the hospital and all his problems are cured?" But I'm not. I know I'm not. I can tell this is just the beginning. I still need to face my homework, my school, my friends. My dad. But the difference between today and last Saturday is that for the first time in a while, I can look forward to the things I want to do in my life. Bike, eat, drink, talk. Ride the subway, read, read maps. Make maps, make art. Finish the Gates application. Tell my dad not to stress about it. Hug my mom. Kiss my little sister. Kiss my dad. Have a party. Tell people my story. Volunteer at 3 North. Help people like Bobby. Like Muqtada. Like me. Draw more. Draw a person. Run, travel, swim, skip. Yeah, I know it's lame, but, whatever. Skip anyway. Breathe... Live.

No comments: