Monday, April 11, 2011

The End.

Well looky here. 
Day thirty.
The end. 
I made it.
One last moment. 
Four years ago today I woke up. 
It was a Wednesday. 
My grandpa had been diagnosed with cancer. 
He hadn't been doing well, and the night before "today" my mom went over to my grandparent's house.
All of their kids were there. 
Except one who was stuck in California but they had him on the phone.
And they spent the night next to my grandpa.
The next morning my mom woke us up.
Two of my cousins had been living with us and when she woke us all up at 8:00 on a school day, we knew.
She took us into the front room upstairs and before she even started talking I knew what she was going to say. 
He was gone.
I cried.
My cousins cried.
My siblings cried.
And my parents cried.
It was the first time I had ever had someone extremely close to me pass away.
Even when you are expecting it, it is still the absolute hardest moment when you find out they are gone.
But.
He was out of his misery.
He was no longer in pain. 
Yes, it was such a difficult experience. 
But I know he is in a better place now.
He is looking down from heaven smiling at us.
Watching over us.
He was an incredible grandfather and I bet he is an even better angel.
And I'll always think of him every time I see black licorice, eat a peppermint patty, hear some fact, or see a paint by number.
He always was sitting in his chair when we went over to their house and we never were allowed to walk past him without stopping and giving him a hug. 
He knew everything about anything.
He had basically every single movie. 
I love him and miss him everyday. 
But I know he is happy.
And one day I will be able so see him again. 
I love you Grandpa. 



1 comment:

Jobi Niu said...

Awww, what a sweet post! I miss Grandpa! :( I remember that morning as well :'(